New Delhi, July 7: A batch of 2,203 Amarnath pilgrims left Jammu on Saturday for the cave shrine in the Kashmir Valley, officials said.
The authorities, however, declared the Baltal route unsafe and suspended the yatra from there.
“Due to landslides and shooting stones, the route from Baltal to the cave shrine is unsafe for the yatris,” an official said.
“It has been decided that no yatri will be allowed to move on this trek till the conditions are reviewed,” he added.
The pilgrims on Saturday left the Bhagwati Nagar Yatri Niwas in an escorted convoy of 51 vehicles for Kashmir Valley.
Pilgrims using helicopter services only will be allowed to continue on the yatra from Baltal side for the time being.
Arrangements have been made for free transport of yatris from Baltal to Pahalgam so that they can continue on the yatra using the Pahalgam-cave shrine trek, authorities said.
Five persons including four pilgrims and a helper were killed by a landslide on July 3 in Brarimarg-Railpathri area of Baltal-Cave shrine trek.
Since then, no pilgrim has been allowed to use this route for the yatra.