Abuja, July 12 : At least 11 people, including two suicide bombers, were killed and five others injured in multiple explosions that rocked Nigeria’s Maiduguri city.
Four suspected suicide blasts hit the Mulaikalmari and Sabon Gari areas of the city in quick successions late on Tuesday, Xinhua news agency reported.
Eight people died in the first and second bombings while three others were killed in the subsequent attacks.
Head of the government emergency agency, Satomi Ahmed, confirmed the attacks and said that rescue operations were ongoing in the areas.
A senior security agent suspected that the attacks were carried out by Boko Haram which had been blamed for the deaths of over 20,000 people and displacing of 2.3 million others in Nigeria since their insurgency started in 2009.
The security officer said Boko Haram had attempted to infiltrate Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, after they were chased out of the city.